Burnt Trailer Analysis
Burnt Trailer Analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsyzkkI_g14
Rhetorical situation:
The purpose of this trailer is just
like all others, to captivate and engage viewers to watch its film. Which it
does a good job at, and I’ll talk about later. The film Burnt is about the
grit, determination, and boldness of chefs in the most prestigious and modern
kitchens around the world. Following the story of Adam Jones played by Bradley
Cooper, this film explores the complexities and dynamics of a kitchen while
also showing the extreme amount of stress that inflicts the day-to-day worker.
In the official trailer for the
film, we get to hear a summarized story of Adam Jones’s life and why he is such
a renowned chef. This story is told by himself and other characters that are in
the film. This I feel is very useful in helping the viewer get an idea for the
film and what it will entail. However, after seeing the film, I feel that the
trailer gives away too much of the story and should have focused on showing
more of the drama and intense scenes which it already does quite well.
The imagery is great. Many jump
cuts and quick shots that show food being prepared and cooked. Different
utensils and techniques are being used, which is great for a trailer. These
shots were paired perfectly with the added sounds of the kitchen, knives sharpening,
stoves starting up, eggs being whisked, and the occasional plate being smashed
against the wall. These sounds help to direct our attention and help add to the
imagery which makes it much more appealing and interesting. These sounds play
throughout the entire trailer from beginning to end which symbolizes the
everlasting workdays cooks around the world face. And how much work really goes
into creating food from scratch.
This film is one that I do enjoy,
but don’t see it as one of the best cooking films/TV series out there. I think
this film is very good at the flashy side of the culinary world but that’s
mostly it. It’s loud and flashy and tells a great story but fails to go into
much greater detail on certain topics and details in the film. Throughout the
trailer, we see many ‘cool’ shots like a pan flambéing and Adam riding a
motorcycle which backs the bad-boy mentality he has. This is great for a
casual viewer but feels empty as the characters in the film and trailer just do
senseless tasks with little to no meaning.
Overall, I think Burnt is a must-watch for all. It’s got all the right elements that make a fun entertaining and suspenseful film. It’s a feel-good story about when you’re at your lowest, how you're going to bounce back. I think most people that are going to watch this are going to be actual chefs and cooks and I feel that they will enjoy this movie as long as they can get past some of the bland cooking scenes that fail to show the true labor of working in a kitchen.
Rhetorical reflection:
As
I write this paper, I feel that the readers that this will most suit are those
who have seen the movie and who have worked in restaurants before. This film
is something that I really did enjoy and related to on a personal level so I
feel other cooks or chefs that have seen the film would be very interested in
reading other cooks’ reviews of a film like this.
My main goal in this is to provide
my own opinion and thoughts on the film. I am biased and have my own opinions
on this film and wish to leave them for others to read. I only wish to leave my
own thoughts and let others form their own opinions and interpretations of the
film for themselves.
Also, as I write this paper, I make
sure to write as myself but as the movie critique version of me. Making sure to
be fair but also judgmental to the tiniest details. I have enjoyed writing reviews
as I feel it has made me notice more details in film and makes me challenge the
director and writers more.
Comments
Post a Comment