Everything Everywhere all at Once (2022)

 First off, I'd like to say that this film was great and I had a very good time watching it. I feel like I wouldn't have seen it if it wasn't for this assignment. Everything about this film was great from the casting, and editing, to the story it tells was beautiful. 

    Overall, this film shows many different aspects to life that we all experience and really dives into different family dynamics. But one thing this movie really explores is nihilism. When the audience finds out Evelyn’s daughter, Joy had become an antagonist for the film, she begins to express her disappointment in everything and believe that nothing matters in the grand scheme of things. I think Joy felt this way because she began feeling unseen by her own mother, just as Evelyn did by having a strict and unforgiving father.

            I think nihilism is a good addition to this film as it shows how lost Joy has become but also how its easy it can be to give up and become optimistic about everything.      

            Whilst watching this film, I was reminded very much of other films that have a strong use of nihilism. Fight Club and American Psycho were very similar in how characters from these films had become extremely lost and delusional with nihilistic characteristics.  

Comments